Friday, March 27, 2009

Project 6: Photo-stitching and Text application

The Project 6 assignment is to take 3 or more photos from your personal collection and “stitch” them together to make a single photo using layers, adjustments and some of the tools from the tool menu.

Those of you who were part of the eLIVE class on the 23rd saw a demonstration of this process in action where I stitched together a set of photos of the shoreline mountains, taken from an AK ferry. For those of you who missed this class, it is strongly advised that you view the recorded class from the UAS Central website archive to get an idea how this process is done. This will not only teach you about layer properties, but it will also give you a framework to experiment with some of the adjustment menus and tools in the toolbox.

You do not have to do a landscape as I did. Try your skills at stitching together a variety of other subjects. For example: it often will happen that the platen area of one’s scanner is not as large as the piece one wants to scan. This has happened to me many times over where I need to scan the same image, in different sections, and stitch the separate scans together to make one image.

Below is a duo-stitched image (I actually used pieces of a third) of a very large group of people at a conference I attended. I took the photo in three separate shots, positioning myself as directly in from of the area that would fit in my viewfinder. This repositioning of the vantage point was to eliminate as much perspective distortion as possible. To try and fit all of them in one photo would have made everyone tiny. There were a few people missing from the original, including myself, since I was taking the photo, so I took separate shots of them and “Photoshopped” (that word is bound for the dictionary yet) them in. Can you find them all? (hint - I am #128)


Original Photo / Right

Original Photo / Left

Selection Mask Channel - notice that I did not use a straight selection outline here. I selected around individual people since their position may have changed from one photo to the next. In the demo, where I worked on a landscape, there was little or no movement from one photo to another.

Final Stitched Photo


Identification Outline (traced in Painter X)



Once you have stitched your photo together, give it a title of some kind and apply the type to the image and set it in place as I did with the image above and the Alaska beach panorama that adorns our blog homepage. Post your original images and the stitched final WITHOUT the text first. Then apply the text and post that separately.

If you have any questions, please contact me as soon as possible so I may address them – possibly for the rest of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment